Monday, November 11, 2013

Cry of Fear Review: Holy Shit, I'm Fucking Terrified!

When starting Cry of Fear I wasn't sure what to expect. I knew nothing about the game aside from it being classified as horror. Except they shouldn't classify it as "horror". No. They should classify it as, "Holy shit, I'm fucking terrified right now, someone help me please, I don't want to play anymore."
Okay, okay... maybe I'm over exaggerating a bit. Except at the time, when I was actually playing the game, those were some of the thoughts that were going on in my head.
So meet Simon. Just your average teenager. He's depressed. He likes a girl that doesn't like him back. He's ignoring his mother. And oh yeah, he sees terrifying demon zombies. This isn't a new concept in horror games. In fact, just about every horror game has the same story line. Except Cry of Fear got it right.
In the first 10-30 minutes (depending on how long it takes you to get through a fucking window in my case) there is the gnarliest of jump scares I've ever experienced. I screamed so loud I was actually worried about my neighbors calling the cops; thinking that I was being brutally murdered or something. That was the moment I knew this game couldn't be trusted.
From that point on it didn't get any easier to control the screams. Or the sweaty palms. I was beside myself at some moments playing this game. Telling myself, "it's only a game. It will be alright." Telling myself this of course did no good. It's like someone on acid trying to convince himself that he isn't on acid. It's just not going to work. He's still going to be on acid no matter how many times he tells himself he isn't. Just like this game is going to be horrid no matter how many times I tell myself it's just a game.
After much thought I'm pretty sure I finally figured out what makes it so horrifying. Most horror games have a rhythm to them. After awhile you start to figure it out. Then once you do, you can turn corners and open doors and know exactly what is coming for you. Not Cry of Fear. When I said earlier that they got it right I wasn't just saying that. As soon as I got comfortable with one monster they either brought in a new one or switched. As soon as I thought, "there can't possibly be anything creepier than a zombie with spikes as arms and legs," there in the distance were zombies shooting at me. That's exactly what I need in my life! Zombies fucking shooting at me! As if I wasn't already worried about the zombies crawling on the floor with knifes.
Then once I was introduced to every zombie they had to offer, I get put in a damn maze. A maze with blood stained walls and no hope on where to go. I don't think I actually knew what, "I'll wing it," meant until that moment. And there wasn't just one blood stained wall maze. There were multiple.
Then there's the music. Every note made me cringe. Numerous times (especially during boss fights) I actually turned off the volume in my headset just so I could have more focus because the music was getting to me. Not the zombies. The music.
As far as the story line goes, great job guys. Not many horror games keep me entertained in the story. Maybe my attention span in too short because there seems to always be too much reading in horror games. Or maybe I can't read. Either way, my focus isn't usually on the story. However, Team Psykskallar pulled off a story that kept my attention. They only managed to loose me once. This moment was when Simon and Sophie were having their moment on the roof. I don't know... I'm not much of a sap so I didn't care for it. But I get why it was important.
Moving on.
Overall, wonderful game. My perspective on games (indie horror specifically) has changed after playing Cry of Fear. I say that as a good thing. My expectations are now raised. I may still scream like a little bitch druing jumpscares, but I now know what it takes to make it through your silly game. So bring it on horror games!


To see me play Cry of Fear and scream like the girl that I am check out my playlist:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLl-v3i0_JWk62H4uKdTYTKBbrjXcKhzjh

2 comments:

  1. Nice review, Cry of fear is an awesome game and you´re right, that music ... sight

    ReplyDelete